'Hillbilly Days' kicks off in Macon today
Thursday, Jun 14, 2012
MACON COUNTY - The Lions Clubs of Lafayette present the 37th annual Macon County Hillbilly Days at Key Park in Lafayette. The Days run from Thursday, June 14, to Saturday, June 16. The following is a schedule of events.
• Noon and after – Craft booth set-up
• 6 p.m. - Opening ceremonies
• 6:30 p.m. – “Itty Bitty Hillbillies” beauty pageant• 7 p.m. - Cake walk
• All-you-can-eat fish fry (includes fish, fries, slaw, Ms. Ercie’s hush puppies and drink). Adults: $8. Children under 12: $5
• 6 p.m. - Gospel concert
• 10 a.m. - Flat top guitar contest
• 10:30 a.m. – Mandolin contest
• 11 a.m. - Beginning fiddle contest (under 16)
• 11:30 a.m. – Harmonica contest
• Noon - Banjo contest
• 1 p.m. - Junior fiddle contest (ages 16 – 50)
• 1:30 p.m. - Senior fiddle contest (ages 51 and up)
• 2 p.m. – 3rd annual Ped Scruggs Memorial Fiddle Challenge – junior fiddle versus senior fiddle winners (Prize $100)
• 2:30 p.m. - Billy and Joanna Roark Community Service Award
• 2:45 p.m. - Mr. and Miss Hillbilly and other contests
• 3 p.m. - Buck dance (age 15 and under)
• 3:15 p.m. - Buck dance (16 and up)
• 3:30 p.m. - Judge jam session
• 4:30 p.m. - Male vocalist contest (one song performance*)
• 5:30 p.m. - Female vocalist contest (one song performance*)
*Vocalist may have a second song available in case of a tie
Sound by: James Arnett
Judges: Jim Wood, Inge Wood and Boyd Deering
• 7 p.m. - The Big Show - bluegrass band competition (Entry fee is $30. First place wins $700, second place wins $400 and third place wins $200)
Note: First and second place bands are asked to play 30 minutes after competition is completed. All times for competitions are approximate. Please be registered at least one hour prior to the scheduled time.
Other activities include arts and crafts, games/rides for kids and contests, including a fried pie contest at 1 p.m.
For craft or booth information, contact B.J. Blankenship at (615) 699-2495 or email@example.com. For general information, call Blankenship or Monica Gann at (615) 666-5196.