Registration underway for 4th annual Susan G. Komen Upper Cumberland Race for the Cure
Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012
COOKEVILLE – The fourth annual Upper Cumberland Race for the Cure will be held Sunday, Sept. 23, and businesses, churches and other groups are being especially encouraged to register as teams to compete and fundraise.
The race will be held on the Tennessee Tech campus between the Hooper Eblen Center and Tucker Stadium in Cookeville. It’s being organized by the Komen Upper Cumberland affiliate.
The Upper Cumberland Race for the Cure is a sanctioned 5K event approved by the Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization. Susan G. Komen for the Cure is a global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested almost $2 billion in research since its inception in 1982. Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.
Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the race remain in the Upper Cumberland to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures. Since its inception in 2006, the Komen Upper Cumberland affiliate has granted more than $520,000 in local community grants.
The Race Village, located in the parking lot between the Hooper Eblen Center and Tucker Stadium, will open at 11 a.m. (a survivor bruch will start at 10:45 a.m.). Live entertainment and water stations will line the raceway. In addition, many national and local sponsors will have interactive booths with free giveaway items.
All registered race participants will receive a T-shirt. Businesses, churches, families and other groups are encouraged to register as teams to compete and to fundraise. Participants are encouraged to sign up online at www.komenuppercumberland.org as soon as possible to grow their teams and have plenty of time to fundraise for the team competitions. Online registration is now open at www.komenuppercumberland.org.
This year’s race will once again offer Sleep-In for the Cure. This option allows participants to register and raise pledges in support of the Upper Cumberland affiliate from the comfort of their bed on race day.
And returning to this year’s race is Kids for the Cure for children 12 and under. A special T-shirt design contest is underway and activities, crafts and entertainment for kids participating in this program will be available on race day.
Also returning this year, the Tailgate for the Cure section, which has limited spaces available for participants and their supporters. They will enjoy a reserved spot on the day of the race for festivities, and once again, there will be a competition for best tailgate space.
For more information about Komen Upper Cumberland and the Race for the Cure, visit www.komenuppercumberland.org, call (931) 303-0096 or e-mail email@example.com. The group is also on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/KomenUpperCumberland.