Location, location, location: The first step in a successful event
Wednesday, Feb 1, 2012
- Will the venue comfortably accommodate the number of participants and activities you are planning?
- Is there room for adjustment as the event approaches?
- What is the seating capacity?
- Does the venue fit with your corporate image and/or the purpose of the event?
- How are the meetings rooms laid out? Are there any visual obstructions to consider?
- Is the venue easily accessible to your participants? Will out of town attendees find it easily?
- If hotel accommodations are necessary is the venue conveniently located for participants?
- Does the facility have additional rooms available for use if necessary (auditoriums, meeting rooms, etc)?
- Is the necessary audio/visual equipment available? Is there a charge for using the equipment?
- Does the venue offer Internet access? Wi-Fi, etc.
- Is safe parking available? Is there a charge for your attendees?
- Is there adequate accommodations for participants with special needs?
- How is the temperature in the event rooms controlled? Central thermostat? Thermostat in each room?
- Are there additional amenities that participants can utilize? Social gathering areas? Work space? TVs? Walking trails? Photocopying? Faxing? Printing?
- Is catering available on site?
- Are you required to use the on-site caterer?
- Can accommodations be made for participants’ dietary requirements?
- Can menus be custom tailored to fit the needs of your event?
- What kind of staffing is available for your event, and how are staffing considerations determined?
- What services are provided with the meal or beverage service? Set-up and clean-up? Continuous replenishment of food and beverage?
- What is the venue's rate structure? What is the cost of the facility or room rental?
- Are there additional cleaning fees?
- Are discounts or package offered?
- Is a deposit required? When is payment expected?
- Are there additional fees for the use of audio/visual equipment or Internet access?
- If catering is used, is that billed separately?
- How will you be billed?
- What is their cancellation policy?
Once you have these details in mind you can determine the best location for your needs.Sarah Hazelton is a chamber ambassador/staff volunteer at the Crossville-Cumberland County Chamber of Commerce. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.